A few weeks ago my friend Kat and I participated in a Linocut Printmaking Class, hosted here in town by Lee Valley. Neither of us were entirely sure what to expect from the class but we were both pleasantly surprised!
In progress work. I was the last one to finish my carving…carving around the letters was much harder than I thought it would be!
And finished work! It was really fun to learn the process of making the linocut and then getting it onto the page. Am planning to get the materials on my own and try some more projects over the summer!
On Sunday Dustin and I were getting our creative on and spent the afternoon working on some hand lettering. I think I would really like to take a calligraphy class but in the meantime I was letting myself get inspired by all of the great lettering online…especially on Pinterest. This is a direct copy, and I inverted the colours, but here is my first go:
At the new Island office we decided to each create a piece of art to go up on our wall. I chose a quote that stood out to me but that was also a little bit silly…enjoy!
A few days late but here it is! This was a photo taken in January when Dustin and I spent the day in Santa Monica. I was able to spend more time there last July and it is such a wonderful place…I can’t wait to get back!
1280x800px 1440x900px 1680x1050px 1920x1200px 2560x1600px
The new April Desktop Calendar is up! And on time! Obviously I gave up on February and March but was determined for April and finished it last week actually. The photo was taken on a chilly morning photo ‘jalk’ (jog/walk) along the river in Saskatoon. Loads of steam coming off the river with the cold and heat finally mixing together.
So Dustin and I are very much in new house mode — for those of you who don’t know, we bought a house! We are pretty darn excited about and I feel like I have been exploring Pinterest more often and finding many blogs related to renovations and home style. I can’t help it! It has become a new and exciting hobby for the both of us.
A few of the things above are currently in my future shopping cart (trying not to get too far ahead of myself!), although while the throw pillow by John Robshaw is gorgeous I don’t think our ‘first-time-home-buyers’ budget will allow for that. Luckily there are so many great printed options on Etsy and at Homesense that will fit nicer into our budget.
Check out some of my boards on Pinterest as well, as I have been pinning like crazy looking for house design inspiration. If you have any suggestions on blogs I should be following please let me know, I would love to hear about new ones!
1. Clips $20 (Umbra)
2. Carafe $30 (Indigo)
3. Throw Pillow $110 (John Robshaw)
4. Wire Basket $50 (Crate and Barrel)
5. Chair $279 (IKEA)
Updating the Program Planning Guide today and working on one of the first pages encouraging students to connect via social media with Edwards. I always like to think in terms of my design one year ago or even two years ago and I feel so happy to think about how much I have grown. I mean, this isn’t much, but two years ago starting my job here I would have been eager to get started but would have also been trying to put something together in Microsoft Word, instead of PhotoShop/Illustrator/InDesign. Its great to look back at old designs and feel a sense of growth, and that all of the classes I have taken, projects I have worked on, mistakes I have made have contributed to making me a better designer (or aspiring designer). Can’t wait to see where I will be next year at this time!
While Dustin and I were in Disneyland over New Years we stopped at the WonderGround Gallery in Downtown Disney and both fell in love with the artwork of Scotty Reifsnyder. He had two works in the Gallery, one inspired by Peter Pan (that I am still kicking myself over for not purchasing) and one inspired by The Incredibles (Dustin bought a mug with the art piece on it, he admires it every morn!). His art was so unique and is a style that both Dustin and I really enjoy, I wish I could create art like him! Check out his blog or his Dribbble page and prepare to be inspired for the day!
Since the beginning of 2013 (okay, 11 days ago) I have been feel like this will be a great year with tons of amazing things going on. In some way or another in the last 11 days each product above has made me feel exciting, stylish, happy or beautiful and I am feeling like this year will be unlike any other.
1. Alex and Ani bangle bracelet -This was a fantastic find at Bloomingdale’s in Santa Monica while Dustin and I were there last week. I had never heard of this brand before (I am behind in the times!) but have found at least 12 other bangle bracelets that they make that I am now in love with.
2. M. Sasek This is New York Calendar -Another great California find that I actually picked up this summer in LA at Book Soup (I was lucky enough to make it to California TWICE this year!). Mr. Sasek’s art is incredible and if it wasn’t weird to have five calendars on my office wall I would also own San Francisco, London, Paris and any others that are out there!
3. Sugar Lip Polish by Fresh -I received this polish as a gift at Christmas (thanks Dustin!) and the first time I put it on my lips it felt like heaven. Honestly. My lips felt so amazingly soft when I applied lip balm after I actually wanted to keep touching them. Don’t judge.
4. Stella & Dot Gigi earrings -A beautiful gift from my lovely friend Avril as a thank you for helping out with her wedding right before New Years (what a sweetheart!). They go great with so many things that I wear and can be dressed up and funked down. I am honestly wearing them right now.
5. Kobo Mini -Another fantastic Christmas gift from Dustin (what a great guy!). I was worried that the screen would be too small but it was actually perfect for me and helped me get through some great books on the beach in Mexico over Christmas. It is a great size to carry around ( and so light!) no matter the size of my purse.
I am back! It was a bit of a hiatus, but I was gone to Mexico for Christmas with my family and then I was in California (Palm Springs) for a friends wedding and Disneyland for NYE, it was a whirlwind but soooo much fun.
1280x800px, 1440x900px, 1680x1050px, 1920x1200px, 2560x1600px
I have created a desktop calendar for January – my second attempt. I made one last month for December but in the craziness of the winter holidays I just didn’t get it up on here. Hopefully you enjoy this one, if you have a dimensions request for a screen size I haven’t posted leave me a comment and I will try to accommodate you!