Last week three of us from the Island team participated in Giving Tuesday and spent a couple of hours giving back at the Saskatoon Food Bank. It felt great to get out of the office, walk around the corner (literally) and spend some time helping out however we could.
Dustin and Lindsey helped out in the Clothing Depot while I spent my time wrapping presents in the main building. Jasmine, the Communication and Event Coordinator at the Food Bank, gave us a tour of the space and explained how things work around the building. It was incredible to learn how many people visit every month (12000+) and how much more food/support is needed. We also heard about their Do Something Amazing campaign, which is a wonderful campaign of sharing stories about ordinary people doing amazing things in our community.
It was a pleasure to help out and I would be happy to do so again in the future. If you are thinking you would like to give back there are a number of ways:
- Donate personally – set aside some of your gift budget to spend a little on those in need.
- Donate as a gift – not sure what to give the person who has everything? Donate in their name.
- Donate clothing, food, small household goods – at this time of year the Clothing Bank is looking for winter clothing (jackets, scarves, mittens, etc.) and is always in need of healthy non-perishable food items.
- Donate baby formula – the Two Twenty is doing a baby formula drive this Christmas, as this is something the Food Bank always needs. Hosting a food/baby formula drive with friends or co-workers is another great way to help out.
- Donate time – the Food Bank is always on the lookout for a few good men and women.
Thinking about a cash donation? Until January 16th PotashCorp is matching donations up to $1 million…so double the donation!
Thanks for a wonderful experience Saskatoon Food Bank!